At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- Experience wild camping deep in the mountains
- Learn all the skills needed to be self-sufficient
- Experience a multi-day hillwalking expedition adventure
- All wild camping equipment is provided
- Watch the sunset and sunrise from the comfort of your tent
Why choose Snowdon Walks?
- All our courses are led and taught by fully qualified, experienced and knowledgeable instructors
- We specialise in organising mountain skill courses and walks – the mountains is our passion and we love nothing more than sharing this with you
- Our courses are run and taught in a fun, friendly and relaxed atmosphere
- We make sure that everything from booking your course to learning is as stress free and enjoyable as possible
Book Wild Camping Weekend Course
Wild camping deep within the mountains is one of the ultimate outdoor experiences. Over two days you will experience remoteness, adventure and the chance to spend the night under the stars and tackle a multi-day route in the Snowdonia mountains. You will learn all the essential campcraft and expeditions skills needed to undertake your own wild camping and multi-day expeditions in the future.
Dates for 2017
- Saturday 8 April – Sunday 9 April 2017
- Saturday 20 May – Sunday 21 May 2017
- Saturday 17 June – Sunday 18 June 2017
- Saturday 1 July – Sunday 2 July 2017
- Saturday 15 July – Sunday 16 July 2017
- Saturday 5 August – Sunday 6 August 2017
- Saturday 19 August – Sunday 20 August 2017
- Saturday 16 September – Sunday 17 September 2017
This weekend is about experiencing a remote wild camp deep in the Snowdonia mountains. You will learn all the required expedition skills to confidently go wild camping on your own in the future. You will be taught how to travel light, manage risks, find safe drinking water, cooking and camp craft, selecting a site, and also how to plan a two-day mini-expedition.
You will meet your group and instructor in the village of Llanberis where you will be welcomed and also issued a weekend car park pass. The day begins with a morning of short briefings about kit, regulations and expedition skills. Within your group you will then look at planning your route for the next two days and then pack your rucksacks ready for the adventure. Your group will leave around midday after lunch to start the mini-expedition.
You will be walking most of the afternoon and into the early evening before stopping to camp deep in the mountains. Your instructor will be giving you information throughout the evening on all the key topics. You will pitch your tent, find water and cook your dinner before settling down for the night under the stars. Your instructor will be on hand to help you and ensure you are having a fantastic experience.
Depending on the time of the year the group may wake early to see the sunrise. It’s then time to cook breakfast and pack-up camp. You will complete the second half of the walk and head back to the start/pick up location. The group will be taken back to Llanberis to return kit and for a quick de-brief.
Some recent hillwalking experience is required and you are expected to have a good level of fitness and be able to walk over rough terrain for a full day. You will be carrying all your equipment over a long mountainous walk with an estimated weight of 10kgs.
What equipment do I need?
What we provide:
- Lightweight 2-man wild camping tent
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- Large expedition rucksack
- Stove and gas
- All food is supplied for the weekend (packed lunches, tea & cake, rations, drinks plus stove fuel)
What you need to bring:
- Quality walking boots or trekking shoes
- waterproof jacket and trousers
- comfortable/warm hillwalking clothing
- Hat, gloves and an extra warm layer
- Head torch
- lunch box, plastic plate, plastic cup, fork/knife/spoon
- water bottle
- Personal items (highlighted in the kit list)
- A full kit list will be sent prior to the event
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 4 weeks prior to the course. All the course information will be emailed to you once your place has been confirmed. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.
To book a place, select your chosen date on the calendar above and click ‘Book Now’