At A Glance
Why choose this walk?
- Discover the most beautiful lake in the Lake District National Park
- 20 mile circular walk taking in all the highlights of this stunning area
- Explore the local villages
- Meet like-minded walkers on this superb mini-adventure
- Experience some of the best views the Lake District has to offer
Why Choose Snowdon Walks?
- Led by an expert, professional and fully qualified Mountain Leader
- Small groups so you get a more personal experience
- Full support before the event with plenty of tips and information
- Guaranteed to be one of the best days you have ever had in the Lake District
Book Ullswater Way Challenge
The Ullswater Way is a recently opened 20-mile walking route around Ullswater. The route circumnavigates the lake and gives you the chance to explore every bit of the most beautiful lake in England. The walk is tough but the views are breathtaking. This has to be the finest lake walk in England and a great long distance walking challenge too.
Dates for 2018:
- Saturday 21st April 2018 (fully booked)
- Friday 25th May 2018
- Friday 8th June 2018 (fully booked)
- Thursday 28th June 2018
- Friday 20th July 2018
- Friday 17th August 2018
- Saturday 25th August 2018
The walk starts at 8am from the beautiful village of Pooley Bridge and passes the Roman fortlet of Maiden Castle as we head anti-clockwise to the breathtaking Aira Force. Gowbarrow Fell is an optional ascent but the views are well worth the extra hard work. The path takes us close to the lake shore passing the spot where Wordsworth was inspired by daffodils at Glencoyne Deer Park as we make our way to Glenridding.
The next section was described by Wainwright as “the most beautiful and rewarding walk in Lakeland” which sees the group walk round the south end of Ullswater and along the more remote eastern shore. The views are breathtaking! We pass the hamlets of Sandwick and through Howtown before either taking the low-level route back to Pooley Bridge or an ascent to The Cockpit, a stone circle on the slopes of High Street, with more stunning views across Ullswater.
The route was opened in 2016 as a way to boost tourism to the area which was devastated by the 2015 Cumbrian floods. We strongly encourage you to stay local to Ullswater and support the local businesses during the weekend.
Spaces on this walk are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 4 weeks prior to the walk. All the walk information will be emailed to you once your place has been confirmed. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.
To book a place, select your chosen date on the calendar above and click ‘book now’.